Hit by an uninsured driver

author image - grace

By Grace Hickman

on Thursday 14 December 2017

two men arguing by accident

Claiming compensation against an uninsured driver

Even if the driver was uninsured, we still strongly recommend that you note;

  • The make, model, and registration number of the other driver’s vehicle
  • Name and address of the driver
  • Photographic evidence of the scene of the accident, as well as driving conditions, road markings, and other noteworthy factors.
  • Damage caused to the other car
  • Contact details and anything said by witnesses at the scene

Some people assume that if the driver at fault doesn’t have insurance, then it isn’t possible to claim compensation for the accident, but this is not the case.

Claiming from your own insurer is possible after being hit by an uninsured driver if your insurance policy includes full comprehensive cover. Although, it is likely that you will lose some of your No Claims Bonus unless your policy also includes uninsured driver promise. If you do not have this cover then there are other options still available to you.


Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB)

The ‘Motor Insurers Bureau Board’ or ‘MIB’ is a government regulated company, partly funded by insurers in that deals with claims that were a result of uninsured or untraceable drivers. The MIB’s ‘Uninsured Drivers Agreement’ (2017) states, for accidents where the liable driver doesn't have insurance, the non-fault party has the right to claim compensation.

The not at fault driver also has the ability to claim through the Motor Insurers Bureau if the driver liable for the accident is untraceable.

If you have suffered any personal injuries as a result of your car accident, the MIB’s scheme may allow you to claim Personal Injury Compensation in addition to further losses.

The Non-Fault Claims team specialize in a vast array of personal injury claims and more so contact us now to find out how we can help you.


Claiming after the car accident

We suggest that you make a claim as soon as you can after your car accident. This way, medical reports, witness statements and other necessary information regarding evidence relative to the accident will be easier to substantiate, increasing the chances of a successful claim.

As stated in the Road Traffic Act (1988), you are required to report the car accident to police immediately, if:

  • The accident has caused any drivers or passengers to suffer injuries
  • The driver at-fault didn’t stop when the accident happened
  • The drivers didn’t exchange details at the scene
  • The most common passenger injuries

According to statistics, the most frequent injury sustained from car accidents is whiplash. The circumstances of the accident can impact how a person is affected by whiplash, and the injury can differ from person to person. Other common injuries that stem from car accidents include; head injuries, spinal damage, muscle damage, cuts, bruises and more.

When you want to claim personal injury compensation you should pursue the advice of a solicitor or law firm with expertise and achievements in dealing with whiplash and other personal injury claims.

If you have suffered an injury as a driver, passenger, or hit and run accident, we can advise you today.

If you have been hit by an uninsured or untraceable driver, Contact Non-Fault Claims obligation free today for guidance on what to do next.

0808 1454275

Non Fault Claims can help you begin your potential claim, get in touch today!

road traffic accident injuries personal injury claim Car Insurance uninsured