What happens when you can’t drive after an accident?

author image - grace

By Grace Hickman

on Thursday 14 December 2017

woman on phone after accident

What happens if my car is damaged, but still seems driveable?

Even in accidents where the car or cars involved only sustain insignificant damages, assessors can still deem the car as unfit to return to the road. Some people are deceived by the damages acquired by some cars after accidents, and from this get the impression that they will be able to drive their car immediately afterwards.

Always be aware that you might not be able to drive your car home after an accident that has resulted in the vehicle suffering damages to any of the following:

  • Exhaust systems
  • Vehicle seats and seatbelt anchorages
  • Tyres
  • Braking systems and brakes
  • Overall condition of the car

Following the accident, your car may be perceived as unsafe or a potential risk to other road users and pedestrians. If you suspect that your car has suffered damages that make it dangerous to drive, or you are told by an engineer or assessor that you are unable to drive, you should immediately avoid doing so.

If your car has suffered damages that disable you from being able to safely return to the road, it is likely that the vehicle will be recovered from the place of the accident.


What to do if you need a specialist vehicle

You may have the right to request a specialist vehicle that is more suitable for your needs, if you have been offered an unsatisfactory replacement vehicle, such as a van, refrigerated vehicle, lorry or plated taxi.
Generally, vehicle replacement insurance policies tend to pay the difference between the cost of your vehicle replacement and the comprehensive insurer’s settlement.


What to do if you need a replacement vehicle

After experiencing a car accident that happened through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to the use of a credit hire vehicle without having to go through your own car insurance to arrange one for you. At Non Fault Claims, we work to provide you with a replacement vehicle referral that will save you money on your own insurance policy.

Your insurance policy may already state that you are entitled to a replacement vehicle, although it may not suit your needs and you might only be welcome to it for a maximum of 21 days.

In the event that you have entered into a legal credit agreement which covers the costs of repairs and car hire expenses because you have decided that you need a replacement vehicle whilst your car is in for repair, you can claim this back. You are also entitled to claim ‘loss of use’ for the time where you have been unable to drive your vehicle – which is calculated at a daily rate.

If you wish to receive a replacement vehicle on a credit hire basis (subject to acceptance by Non Fault Claims and its partners) after a non-fault accident, contact us today for instant help.

0808 1454275

Non Fault Claims can help you begin your potential claim, get in touch today!